Thursday, October 28, 2010

Australia Zoo

Aug 9th:  One of our travel mates, I won't name names - but, she's Italian - had a fit at breakfast because the toaster was too slow.  So far, this has been the only drama from this tour group.  No affairs, no arguments.  It's a little disappointing.  There have been some questionable looks, though, when Sharie accompanies us into our hotel room each night.  I like to think they're appalled and titillated at the same time ... who is this woman of questionable morals? 

Whoever she is, she forgot her prints from the Australia Art Museum back on the island.  No schadenfreude this time.

We headed back to the mainland and drove 170 km north to Beerwah to visit the Australia Zoo - Home of the Crocodile Hunter!  Crikey!


I'd never seen an episode of Steve Irwin's show, though knew of him, of course.  He's an Australian national icon.  And, folks can have their insensitive opinions about the circumstances leading to his untimely death; but, you can't deny his fame has produced wonderful things.  The Australia Zoo has a children's wish granting foundation, they sponsor an annual Red Cross blood drive and several other charitable ventures.

The park was like a giant petting zoo!  Of course, not every animal was accessible to eager hands.

Crocodile
Rhino Iguana
Wombat
A rare Goran with Kangaroo
Evil-eyed kangaroo with a common variety Gymmy
Koala with Sleep Disturber
Cassowary

When we returned to the bus, I made a huge faux pas.  I innocently insulted a national treasure.  Bindi Irwin, Steve's 12-year old daughter, has her picture posted prominently in the gift store/food court building.  Her smile seemed so strained and I got the sense that Steve might have left behind some unhonored endorsement deals that were renegotiated to now include Bindi.

So, I said to our tour guide, Sue, 'Don't you think that Bindi Irwin looks wierd?'  The expression on her face was as if I'd just back handed her.  I tried to back peddle, 'Uhh, I mean, she looks like she's being forced to be the face of the zoo.  Like she's not having fun at all.'  

Yeah, it knew it was weak.  Sue could tell that I thought Bindi Irwin looks like a bat.  But, a cute bat! 


I could practically smell her disappointment in me.  Up until then she'd been chatty and playful with us.  For the rest of the day, all the way to Hervey Bay, I felt distinctly out of favor.

1 comment: